My 991 Turbo Is Using Meth And I’m Okay With It.

The call of “more power” is strong… omnipresent.  I have held out for nearly two years (although I harass my tuner, Sam, much more frequently than that). Eventually my passion overpowered my promise and I ordered in a shiz-ton of new upgrades. The excitement is definitely overpowering my shame (just kidding… I have no shame).

I caved in and called Sam. He hooked me up with some DO88 inlet pipes,  68mm VTG Turbos, straight pipes (the removal of the catalytic converters for the race is necessary, but they’ll be put back on afterward). And last, but not least, a methanol kit. This is a big last step but I feel like it’s been race proven at this point so I’m all in! 😀

Going in with eyes wide open from my past experiences helped keep me calm even when issues popped up. Broken screws that needed to be drilled out. Cracked piping that needed some mild repairs. Sam talked us through everything and gave us peace of mind.

I really enjoy working with my local shop. They are some of the coolest guys in the biz and they do bulletproof work (and I never get tired of saying that they are just a quick walk down the road). They let me come and see the progress and talk shop whenever I wanted.

There’s a big size difference between the old impeller and the new one (top left). I can’t wait to see what she can do. Even with just bigger turbos the top end should have filled in a bit but why stop there?

Everyone should have a methanol kit. Install was pretty painless (for me). The only elements that give the methanol away are the Devil’s Own reservoir in the frunk and the snow boost gauge on the dash (I was absolutely okay swapping out the clock).

After the installation was finished I consulted with Sam who explained how everything should work. He gave me a slew of cool tunes (he said I could use the 93 octane w/ methanol tune and it should be fine- more on that in another post). We filled the meth tank up with a couple gallons, added in some water (16 oz / gallon), primed the pump, installed the recommended new tune and Dagan and I took her for a test drive. Wow. No issues out of the gate. Hoses stayed on. No explosions. I wasn’t 100% sure what I was experiencing. And then it hit me: the top end of the car’s power band was a monster. Normally the car would be losing some oomph around 80 or 90 mph but with the new turbos and meth it just pulled and pulled. It was like being on race gas… all the time. Suffice it to say I was pretty impressed. Obviously I haven’t logged any data or measured the acceleration at this point but my butt dyno was stoked. What’s crazy is that that there’s still a ton of power left on the table.

More to come!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *